In My Family

I was not the smartest or the most artistically talented. That was my brother Jimmie.
I was not the most competitive or the most athletic. That was my brother Kellie.
I was not the most adventurous or the most likely to take risks. That was my brother Dannie.
I was not the most attractive or the most charming. That was my brother David.
I was not the most inquisitive or the most gregarious. That was my brother Jonathan.
I was not the most kind-hearted or the most well-behaved. That was my sister Tammye.
I was not the most outspoken or the most likely to stand by my convictions. That was my sister Beckye.
I was not the most happy-go-lucky or the most looked-after. That was my sister Charitye.

Looking at my family, I'm not sure that I rose to the top in any category. I feel that I was always overshadowed by my older siblings or trumped by my younger siblings. I know that what I feel and how I perceive things to have been are simply shaded by my personal experiences. I would bet the farm that if any of my siblings were to write a post like this, they would feel the same way that I do ... that they were lost in the shuffle.

But that's what makes my family so amazing. We all feel insignificant when we compare ourselves to each other. Instead of causing strife and pulling us apart, it managed to make us stronger, especially as we got older. We supported each other, covering for the ones we thought were weaker and shielding ourselves behind the ones we thought were stronger. We learned from each other and we taught each other. We do so even today.

Growing up, I envied and at times greatly disliked my siblings. I was a child then. I was immature. I didn't understand.

I understand now. I appreciate what my siblings have to offer me. I'm more free with sharing who I am with them. And I love them all immensely.

Comments

Popular Posts