Wednesday Night Karaoke

I have been hosting karaoke at Cobalt for a touch over 5 years. It was Sunday Night Karaoke for that first year and it did fairly well. It also helped that the front door was the "blue door" on R Street instead of the levelone door so that the 30° door was closed, forcing everyone upstairs. We had tables and stools. The bar was promoting in the gay rags.

The tables and stools were removed. The front door was moved to its current location. The night was moved to Wednesday nights. Multiple bartenders and barbacks were rotated through. Regulars started dropping off like flies. And promotions outside of the bar were killed off.

There's only so much I can do. And I've done everything within my time and power. Sometimes things seem like they're coming back; for two months we had great crowds (and they were different people every week). Last week was a big step backwards and I hope it's not a trend.

Things are changing again. Management is making positive moves to bolster their nights. Karaoke, predictably so, is the last night to garner any kind of attention. Look, we need it. Badly. When the owner suggests ending karaoke night, something has to change. And I am not the one who can make that happen. Management is.

After 5 years of trying and wanting the biggest most talked about karaoke in the city, I feel like a failure. And I'm getting tired of doing it. My plan was to hold out until August, when my major clumps of debt are paid off. I still plan on holding out that long. But I'm not sure if I can.

Comments

Popular Posts